Hi In this session we will learn noun definition. Also Noun types, Noun examples, and Noun project in detail. I am explaining things like Noun Definition and other rules and clauses with correct examples.
A Noun is used as the title of an individual, factor, place thought and high quality of an individual, a factor and a spot. The noun is the name of a person, place, material, object or things.
Kinds of Noun [ Noun Types ]
There are 5 Noun Types. We will see all Noun Types separately.
(1) Common Noun
It is the title given in widespread to each particular person or a factor of the identical Kind. It isn’t the title of any explicit particular person or factor or place.
For Example a boy, lady, trainer, and many others.
(2) Proper Noun
It is the title given to some explicit particular person factor or place.
For instance Delhi, Sania, India, Jupiter.
(3) Collective Noun
It is the title of a set of individuals and issues handled and spoken collectively as a complete.
For Example fleet viewers, class, committee, crowd, mod, and many others.
(4) Abstract Noun
It is the title of high quality, thought, idea or state.
For Example magnificence, Youth, trustworthiness, dying, and many others.
(5) Material nouns
Such as gold, coal, wheat, tea.
- (II)Number of a noun Singular-plural
- (III)Gender of a noun Masculine-Feminine-Neuter
- (Iv) Case of a Noun
- (i)Mohan is my good friend. Subjective/Nominative case
- (ii)Who introduced this guide? Objective/Accusative case
- (iii)She is Mohan’s spouse. Possessive/Genitive case
- (iv)Help me, Mohan. Vocative case
So we see all noun types with their examples and Noun definition. All noun types are categorized as per their specifications. Now We will see the clauses.
Case in Apposition
ionMohan, the Captain of our group, has been rewarded.
Opposition means a putting close to simply ‘as captain’ is positioned after ‘Mohan’ It is a type of descriptive expression not joined by any conjunction.
Rules of noun
- (a) Uncountable Nouns are used within the singular kinds solely.
- The indefinite article isn’t used earlier than them.
- They are usually not used with plural verbs.
- ‘Much’ or ‘Some’ are used instead of ‘Many’ for denoting plurality.
Some of the essential Nouns of this type are
- He gave me the data. (Omit ‘an’)
- You need to be true to your phrases. (Use ‘word’ instead of ‘words’)
- He was punished for committing many mischiefs.
(Use ‘much mischief’ instead of ‘many mischiefs’)
- Young individuals dislike the recommendation of aged individuals. (Use ‘advice’ instead of ‘advice’)
(B) These nouns could also be used to indicate singularity as follows
(i) A bit/a phrase of recommendation.
(ii) A phrase of abuse.
(iii) An act of mischief.
(iv) A bit of labor.
(v) A bit/loaf of bread.
(vi) An article of bags.
(C) These nouns could also be used to indicate plurality as follows
(i) Much/some recommendation.
(ii) A number of/many phrases/many items of recommendation.
(iii) Two items/loaves of bread.
(iv) Words of abuse.
There are a number of the collective nouns that are used with a plural verb. For instance
(a)‘Cattle, Gentry, Peasantry, Poultry, Clergy, People, Majority, Folk.’
- (b)The nouns ‘ Committee, Jury, House, Ministry, Family, Mob, Crowd, Audience, Police, Team, Number, Board, Staff, Public’ are used with singular verbs when they’re used as a physique or group and never as members.
(c)When these nouns denote members or people, the very is utilized in plural type.
(I) Cattles are grazing within the area. (Use ‘cattle’ instead of ‘cattles’)
(ii) The majority is in favor of this proposal. (Use ‘are’ instead of ‘is’)
(iii) The committee is unanimous on this challenge. (Correct)
(iv) The committee is divided and there’s bitterness among the many members. (Correct)
(v) The peoples of all of the international locations ought to work for peace. (Correct)
(vi)The common Hindu household in India consists of 4 members. (Correct)
(vii) His households are usually not agreed on this level. (Correct)
(viii) The viewers had been forbidden to occupy chairs. (Correct)
(ix) The police have developed into insensitive. (Correct)
(x)The viewers were spelled certain. (Correct)
(xi) The police had been posted everywhere on the route. (Correct)
(xii) The group is stuffed with excessive spirits. (Correct)
(xiii) The group is on the high on these competitors. (Correct)
‘Peoples’ is used once we discuss the individuals of various international locations.
‘Offspring, Deer, Fish, Sheep’ are expressed as singular or plural solely by way of the verb. Both in singular and the plural, they have an identical type.
- Sheeps are economically helpful. (Use ‘Sheep’ instead of ‘Sheeps’)
- A sheep is grazing within the area. (Correct)
‘Fishes’ could also be used within the sense of various quantity and type.
- Some of the nouns (ending in ‘s’ or ‘es’) are used with a singular verb.
- Branches of studying. For instance
- Mathematics, Physics, Mechanics, Politics, Statistics, Statics, Economics.
Statistics as a topic are used with a singular verb. Statistics, when taken as a set of information, is used with a plural verb.
- Diseases. For instance
Mumps, Measles, Rickets and many others.
- Games and sports activities. For instance
Billiards, Aquatics, Gymnastics, Athletics and many others.
- Titles of books. For instance
Three Musketeers, Gulliver’s Travels, Arabian Nights, War and peace, Tales from Shakespeare.
- Descriptive names of nations. For instance
The United States, United Arab Emirates, and many others.
- Some different nouns are
Innings, Series, News, Summons. For instance
- The measles have damaged out within the twon. (Use ‘has’ instead of ‘have’)
- Politics are an unclean sport. (Use ‘is’ instead of ‘are’)
- This information are disappointing. (Say ‘this news is’)
- A/The summons has been served on him. (Correct)
- A collection of matches are being performed. (Use ‘is’ instead of ‘are’)
- Two collections of matches was performed final 12 months. (Use ‘were’ instead of ‘was’)
The study makes use of Nouns as singular and plural in kinds.
|NOUN||USED AS||NOUN||USED AS|
|Wit||Ability to speak||Wits||Intelligence|
Some of the nouns are usually used within the plural type with a plural verb.
- Articles of costume.
‘Trousers, breeches, Jeans’
- Names of devices.
- ‘Scissors, spectacles, Shears, scales’
- Other nouns similar to
- ‘Alms, Thanks, Proceeds, Riches, Contents, Credentials, Orders, Refreshments, Requirements, Customs, Rations, Archives, Annals, Ashes, Outskirts, Savings, Auspices (help), Surroundings. For instance
- My scissors aren’t sharp. (Use ‘are’ instead of ‘is’)
- My spectacles could be very expensive. (Use ‘are’ instead of ‘is’)
- A pair of spectacles has been purchased by me (Correct)
- The order for his switch has been issued. (Incorrect)
- Orders for his switch have been issued. (Correct)
A compound noun (numerical + noun) isn’t utilized in plural if a noun does the work of an adjective. For instance
- Ten-day tour
- A ten-mile race
- A ten-year previous boy
- He is ten years previous. (Correct)
- A five-rupee observe
- Five-foot lengthy room
Nouns expressing quantity are utilized in the singular with numerical adjectives.
- ‘Two hundred, Two thousand, Five dozen, Two scores, Two million, Three lakh.’
- I gave him two tons of rupees. (Omit ‘s’ in ‘hundreds’)
- I gave him 5 dozens pencils. (Omit ‘s’ in ‘dozens’)
- There are tons of partially constructed homes. (Correct)
Use of Apostrophe with ‘s’
- The use of the apostrophe with ‘s’ isn’t appropriate within the case of non-living issues. It is restricted solely to dwelling issues. Time, Wight, Distance, Amount or personified nouns.
- The desk’s wooden. (Incorrect)
- Boy’ s hand.
- Time’s march.
- A one-kilometer’ s journey.
- A rupee’ s price.
- An evening’s journey.
- A meter’s size.
- Nature’s legal guidelines.
- Every week’s vacation.
- Two nuns are the possessive case denote plural type.
- Sheela and Rohit’s father. (The father of each Sheela and Rohit)
- Sheela’ s and Rohit’s fathers are assemblies in the present day. (fathers of Sheela and Rohit)
- With compound nouns, apostrophe with ‘s’ needs to be added solely with the final phrase.
- Mother-in-law’ s conduct
- Maid-servant’s absence.
- Pronouns are written by omitting apostrophe however ‘s’ is added. For instance
- Yours actually
- It’s color
- It’ s (It is)
- The possessive case is indicated by apostrophe with out ‘s’ after Plural nouns or phrases ending with ‘s’.
- John Keats’ poems.
- Girls’ Hostel.
- Dickens’ novels.
- Jesus’ sake.
- Kalidas’ Works.
- (a) ‘Else’ mixed with indefinite pronouns (Somebody, Anybody, Nobody, and many others) is expressed within the possessive case as any person else’ s instead of any person’s else.
(b) The appropriate expression ‘whose else’ needs to be used instead of the unsuitable expression ‘who else’. However ‘who else’ is appropriate.
(i) This isn’t my guide. This is any person’s else (Say any person else’s)
(ii) Who else is coming? (Correct)
- Who else’s guide is that this? (Use ‘whose else’ instead of ‘who else’ s’)
‘Who’ needs to be transformed into possessive ‘whose’. So ‘whose else’ is appropriate.
Two adjectives denoting completely different meanings and qualifying the identical noun are thought-about plural and are used with plural verbs. For instance
- Cultural and social life in India is altering.
- Summer and winter trip is obligatory in our colleges. (Look up Rule V on Articles)
Noun after a preposition is repeated within the singular type. For instance
- The phrase for phrase.
- Hour after hour.
- Door to door.
The use of fractions.
- One and a half years are wasted.
- One and a half hours are wasted.
- 12 months and a half are wasted.
- An hour and a half are wasted.
A scholar is required to check the plural types of sure nouns rigorously.
Such nouns together with their plural type are given beneath
Singular And Plural Noun Types
|Singular type||Plural type||Singular type||Plural type|
|Major normal||Major generals||Forum||Forum, fora|
|Attorney normal||Attorneys normal||Stadium||Stadia|
|Woman servant||Women servants||Erratum||Errata|
- [500+] Words With Antonyms And Synonyms List From A to Z.
- [248+] One Word Substitution List From A to Z.
- [212+] Synonyms Words From A to Z.
- How To Make A Logo And Download For Free.
Noun Definition: Noun Definition is the name of a person, place, or thing like Ram, Mohan, Shimla, Mumbai, Table, etc.
This is the simple, short, and correct noun definition for students. Noun definition is important for English grammar and many competitive exams.