Let’s see the Drawbacks of Bohr Atomic Model for class 12th students and IITJEE, AIEE, and UPTU entrance exam preparations.
Bohr Atom Model
Electrons revolve around the nucleus only in those orbits in which its angular momentum is an integral multiple of h.
mvr = nh/2𐍀
Law of Stable Orbits
While revolving in stable orbits, electrons do not emit or absorbe energy. It absorbs or emits energy only when it jumps from lower to a higher orbit or higher to a lower orbit.
E2-E1 = hv
E2-E1 = -hv
The coulomb attractive force between the nucleus and the electron provides it the necessary centripetal force to revolve in a circular orbit.
Drawbacks of Bohr Atomic Model
- This model could not explain the fine structure of spectral lines, Zeeman effects, and Stark effects.
- This model is valid only for single electron system.
- This model is based on circular orbits of electron whereas in reality the orbits are elliptical.
- Electron is resumed to resolved around the nucleus only whereas in reality it also revolves around its own axis.
- This model could not explain the quantization condition of angular momentum. (i.e. The Classical and Quantum theories were used simultaneously ).
- This model could not explain the intensity of spectral lines.
- It could not explain the doublets obtained obtained in the spectra of some of the atoms.